Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Grass-fed EVERYTHING

It makes almost four weeks now that I have been transitioning to Dave Asprey's Bulletproof version of the Paleo diet, and my energy levels have not been this high since ephedra was legal!


I found out about Dave from the Joe Rogan Experience, and I've now been through the almost-three hour podcast twice as well read countless internet articles on the subjects of Medium Chain Triglycerides, mycotoxins, grass-fed sources of protein, and bio accumulation of hormones found in industry-farmed meats.

I woke up this morning at 2:00 am, one hour before my alarm went off, and I was full of energy. This now happens once to twice per week and has been allowing me greater efficiency in my daily routine. I attribute this directly to my diet.

Also, my workouts kick ass lately.
----------------------------------
Here is my daily diet (not totally Bulletproof or Paleo yet, but gettin' there):

NLT 6:00 am:

  • 1/2 cup all-natural, organic granola + 
  • 1/2 cup raspberries (organic when I can) + 
  • 1 Wallaby's yogurt (made from grass-fed cow's milk, from cows that are pastured here in Northern California
  • 1 blue Rockstar (my wolf's bane)
**A couple days per week I workout mid-morning, and a couple days per week I work out in the early evening. Either way, immediately post workout I drink a Naked Green Machine and/or a coconut water, preferably the brand C2O, and some sashimi or bison/grass-fed beef. I eat this with rice and ideally some broccoli or asparagus*.


From 9:00 am to 3:00 pm:

  • Guayaki tea beverage (a Sebastopol company!), 
  • Trader Joe's trail mix of some sort (I'm critical of the ingredient list--no added sugars!), 
  • Dark chocolate and a coffee in the afternoon when I need a kick in the pants
Later Afternoon/Evening:

**If I haven't gone to the gym yet, I'll eat a piece of toast or two with coconut oil and jam on it. After Thanksgiving, I'm starting on Ezekiel bread.

Dinner: A large salad, known as "The Meal". The key is here is the inclusion of healthy fats from avocado and olive oil, a large diversity of nutrients due to the variety of vegetables present, and the aggressive antioxidant profile of the kale and spinach.

>I rotate this will meals like grass-fed beef lettuce wraps, bison burgers and sweet potato, and spicy beef with wild rice, all of which I will post soon!


Quick Recipe
*If you're on the Paleo Diet, and you're only consuming proteins from grass-fed or pasture-based sources, you need to keep your intake of Medium Chain Triglycerides, or MCTs, up. One super yummy way to do this is take butter from grass-fed cow's milk (I use the Kerrygold), and after allowing it to soften add the zest of 1/3-1/2 of a lemon and a pinch of kosher salt. Mix well with a fork, refrigerate, and serve over broccoli or asparagus!

No comments:

Post a Comment