Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Killer Quick Carne Asada


 Weightlifting has been a big part of my life since I was about 15. Lately, my brother, Benjamin, and I have been lifting and eating for mass. It has been a great opportunity for us to endure something arduous together, which I feel is bringing us closer.

Me and Ben feasting on churros at a baseball game.

 One requirement of the mass-gain plan is an increased intake of calories. Hopefully an increased intake of healthy, or clean, calories. So over the next few weeks it will seem like I am eating a lot because I am. Just wanted to let you know.

 So today, after assaulting an upper back workout with Ben, I made carne asada bowls. In all, this meal took about 30 minutes, start to finish. To get it done fast like me, follow this sequence:
  • Marinate meat in adobo sauce, canola oil, and southwestern/Mexican dry rub.


  • Saute onion in canola oil until just soft, add rice. Once all the grains of rice have been sauteed, add one small (8 oz) can of tomato sauce and 1 cup of water. Heat to a boil, reduce to the lowest simmer possible for 16 minutes.
  • Light the grill, set to a high heat. 
  • Grill the jalapeno first, and when it is just about done, put the steaks on the grill.
  • When you flip the steaks, pull the jalapeno and put it in a bowl with plastic wrap over it (to steam the charred skin off).
  • Pull the steaks, set aside to rest.
  • Peel skin off jalapeno, halve, remove seeds and pith, and chop.

  • After slicing the steak and placing it on the rice, hit the dish with a few drops of hot sauce, some lime zest, and a little lime juice in addition to the roasted jalapenos.


Tonight, I served it as a carne asada bowl, as I try to keep breads out of my diet after lunch.



No comments:

Post a Comment